Breast Reduction Can Improve Your Silhouette and Quality of Life
At North Texas Breast and Plastic Surgery Center in Denton, TX, Dr. Bruce Hermann offers breast reduction surgery. This procedure is generally recommended for women with overly large, heavy, and pendulous breasts who may be experiencing upper back, shoulder, and neck pain. Women who undergo this procedure typically also enjoy improved self-confidence in addition to a more proportionate bustline. Dr. Hermann utilizes the short scar technique to produce beautiful results and minimize scarring. Dr. Hermann is fellowship-certified with extensive experience in providing safe and reliable outcomes for patients seeking to reduce the size of their breasts.
Improved Comfort and Confidence
What is Breast Reduction?
Breast reduction surgery—also known as reduction mammoplasty—involves removing fat and glandular tissue to create smaller and firmer breasts. During the procedure, Dr. Hermann can also reposition and reduce the shape of the areola for a more youthful and aesthetically pleasing bustline. Women with overly large breasts can experience a variety of medical and emotional issues, such as:
- Shoulder pain due to the combination of heavy breasts and bra straps
- Skin rashes beneath the breasts
- Limited physical activity
- Abnormal looking breasts
- Disproportionate breasts compared to the rest of the body
- Pain and discomfort
- Skeletal issues
- Breathing problems
- Poor self-confidence
During a private consultation, Dr. Hermann will review your overall health with a complete physical examination and review of your medical history to determine if you are good candidate for this procedure. The best candidates for this procedure include patients at a stable weight with fully developed breasts. Once candidacy has been determined, Dr. Hermann can customize a treatment plan to meet your unique needs, carefully discussing the procedural steps and providing the necessary pre- and post-surgical instructions to help ensure you achieve desirable results.
The Breast Reduction Procedure
The basic procedural steps you can expect with a breast reduction surgery include:
- Anesthesia: Dr. Hermann will administer general anesthesia to ensure your total comfort throughout the entire procedure.
- Incisions: Once you are comfortable, Dr. Hermann will begin the procedure using the short scar technique. This technique involves making an incision around the nipple and vertically under the breast.
- Breast Reduction: Dr. Hermann will then remove excess tissue and skin from the sides and bottom of the breast.
- Areola and Nipple Placement: For patients who desire a breast lift in combination with their breast reduction, Dr. Hermann can reposition the areola and nipple higher to create a perkier bustline.
- Sutures and Bandages: Once the breasts have been properly reduced, Dr. Hermann will close the incisions and apply compression garments to assist with swelling and bruising.
"Feel good. Feel confident."
What to Expect during Recovery
After breast reduction surgery, most patients are free to return home the following day. You will be given a special sports bra to wear two to three days after surgery that will need to be worn consistently for the next four weeks. If drains were placed to assist with fluid build-up, these will need to be emptied at least once a day.
It is imperative that you follow your post-surgical instructions precisely to minimize any discomfort. This will involve taking your medications as prescribed, wearing your surgical bra at all times with the exception of when showering, resting with your torso elevated, and attending follow-up appointments as directed. Generally, patients can return to work approximately two weeks after surgery with physical activity increasing around week six. Although you will notice results almost immediately, final results can take up to six months as swelling subsides and your breasts heal.
Dr. Hermann is fellowship-certified with extensive experience in providing safe and reliable outcomes for patients seeking to reduce the size of their breasts.
Real Patient Results
Benefits of Breast Reduction
Women who choose to undergo breast reduction are able to enjoy many benefits. The most obvious benefit is the alleviation of chronic pain and discomfort. You may also find that you are able to enjoy a wider variety of clothing options and an increased sense of self-confidence. If you were previously inhibited in your physical activity because of your large breasts, you may find that a breast reduction improves your breathing and your ability to enjoy physical activity.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you are experiencing back pain or self-esteem issues due to overly large breasts, you may benefit from a breast reduction surgery. Contact our office online or call (940) 387-4900 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Hermann and find out if breast reduction surgery is a good option for you.